Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Gardening 101... Just Do IT!



I've been putting off planting a garden because frankly, I kill everything I've ever put in the ground or a pot. I don't have a green thumb. I don't even have green fingernail clippings. But, deep down I've always loved plants & had the desire to be a master gardener.

I have visions of digging in the dirt wearing a big hat. I'd smile, wiping sweat from my brow while my children giggle while frolicking in the sprinklers. We'd pick a basket full of fresh produce from our garden for our daily meals & have enough to share with neighbors & friends.

Isn't this a good vision?

Well, Husband & I planted our garden this weekend. Even though it's late in the season, I'm trying to stay optimistic about our little garden. I'm also trying to be realistic. I haven't bought a produce basket yet, but I do love to go out each morning to sing to my sprouting buds. {I read plants respond to optimism. I know, I'm a hippie.}
I'm grateful I finally convinced Husband to just buy the danged square foot boxed garden kits from the nursery. Previously when I'd mention this option he'd grumble, "I could make those." My reply... "Well I could make my own clothes too, but do I?" Nice, right? This logic seemed to work & we happily purchased two kits for our plot we'd set aside in the backyard.

It took us maybe an hour & a half from start to finish to put the kits together, add the soil & plant our selections. We planted everything from herbs, to peppers, to a variety of tomatoes, to cucumbers, artichokes, a melon & even some strawberries {which I've read will probably just die.} :(

So happy thoughts my little garden. How I love you so. Now I just need to find me a hat.

I am so excited about my herbs. Italian parsley, cilantro, rosemary, oregano, lavender.
I sure hope they can survive. I use parsley all the time.

This strawberry was not red yesterday!


Oh these little yellow pear tomatoes are my favorites.
Grow, grow, grow my little dears!

4 comments:

  1. We talked about gardening last night at our RS meeting. I am all pumped up about it and even more so now. Thanks for sharing your idea. How much did the planters cost?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question Andrea. I didn't want to scare anyone away from the idea by the price, but we've got to be realistic I suppose.

    It cost us a total of about $350 for everything. Plants, ORGANIC gardening soil & BOTH kits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the answer. I think container gardening might be the way we go. We are only in our home for 2 more years so my hubby doesn't want to make a spot in our yard. Yours just looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete