Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Chipotle-Like Burros

I've been battling aliments the past few weeks that have been obnoxiously reminding me that I'm now in my 30th year. Jiminy Christmas. Is getting older inevitable?

It began with a tweeked wrist after playing tennis one afternoon. Later I picked up Dot & heard a crack. Ouch! I cringed with pain. But it was on with our family fun Saturday schedule to take the kids bowling & I wasn't going to miss it. Ouch more. I'll take it easy. But I started off with two unprecedented strikes, thus beating Husband & I couldn't stop. Not even for my possibly fractured, aching wrist. {What's wrong with me?} After an entire week of pain & limited mobility, I nearly caved to go get it X-rayed, but it was the week of my recital... there wasn't a free moment.

Next came the random ankle pain. Sometimes it hurts, other times it doesn't. It's been like a phantom infirmity - taunting & mocking me.

So here I've been. Walking around like Igor looking pathetic & gimpy. And heels have of course been out of the question {as I learned from an embarrassing episode}.

BUT... today was the first day neither ailment has hindered my activity. I had fun at my advanced step challenge class today, sweating & huffing at every chance. Swimming with the kids. Sword fighting with Son. This 30-year-old body isn't down & out by a long shot! Eat that aliments! Stubbornness combined with... well anything for that matter, is a troublesome formula. But nonetheless I will be on my knees tonight thanking the Lord for health & strength.

And for you... my hungry little friends, a new little recipe I adapted & made last night. {We're BIG Chipotle fans.} It will definitely be a new staple meal at our house. Hopefully at yours as well.

{without the chicken}
Chipotle-Like Vegetarian Burros

by Heather

2 cans of black or pinto beans
1 c. frozen corn or fresh

1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped

1/2 red onion

1 green pepper

2 ripe avocados

1 c. cheese (I used mozzarella)
1 c. white rice (Jasmine from T.J.'s... YUMMY!)
1 lime
1 T. coconut oil
salt & pepper
flour tortillas (I like the uncooked ones from Costco)

pico de gallo or salsa (optional)

Boil 2 cups of water & add your rice. Turn down your heat & let it cook for about 8-10 minutes covered. {Have a helper working on the tortillas if available, otherwise get a movin on those.} Dice red onion, green pepper & finely chop cilantro. {fajita peppers} Saute peppers & half the amount of chopped red onion in EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) for 2-3 minutes & take off heat & season with salt & pepper. Heat up beans on the stove top. {guacamole} Mash avocados, mixing 1-2 T. cilantro & a squeeze of 1/2 the lime. {corn relish} Combine corn, 2 T. cilantro & the other remaining onions into a separate dish. {cilantro-lime rice} When the rice is tender, add the coconut oil, 2 T. cilantro, 1/4 t. salt & the other 1/2 lime to the rice & stir.

Layer tortillas with cheese, beans, fajita peppers, cilantro-lime rice, corn relish, guacamole & enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment