Thursday, August 26, 2010

Chicken Stir-Fry with Quinoa & Rice


Oh you patient little quinoa followers you. Your time has come. I've held out on you long enough & for that you have my apologies. This is a delicious, healthy recipe full of textured grains, proteins & vitamin-laden vegetables. I made this a few weeks back & when I went to take a picture of my beautiful masterpiece my camera practically shouted at me... "Change Battery!!!!"

Perfect.

So sorry, but you'll get the jist from this borrowed, yummy image.

One of my favorite things about stir-fry is the ability to be flexible with the recipe. Basically anything goes. Don't have bok choy on hand? So what? Use spinach. I did & it was fantastic! Only have one carrot? So what? Grate it to make it stretch further & add color. So if you don't have everything I used in this recipe {don't be scared of the list}... get creative. There aren't any rules.

Enjoy!!! Your bellies will thank me. And p.s... my kids gobbled it up. It was a quinoa miracle!

Chicken Stir Fry with Quinoa & Rice

2 T. Coconut Oil
6 cloves Garlic, minced (or T.J.'s Dorot cubes)
1 t. grated Fresh Ginger (or ground)
1 t. Salt
1 pound Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut into cubes or strips
3-4 Green Onions, chopped
1/2 Onion, thinly sliced
2 c. spinach
Broccoli florets
3 carrots, chopped
1 c. Sugar Snap Peas (I used frozen peas)
1 c. Chicken Broth
2 T. Soy Sauce (Bragg's Liquid Aminos)
2 T. Honey
2 T. Cornstarch
1 c. Sweet Brown Rice
1/2 c. red quinoa
1/2 c. white quinoa

Boil 3 c. water. Add rice & quinoa & simmer for about 15-20 minutes until moisture is gone then fluff. While rice is cooking heat coconut oil in a large saucepan or wok. Add 3 cloves minced garlic, green onions, ginger root & salt. Add chicken & stir-fry until chicken is no longer pink. Add remaining cloves minced garlic & stir. Stir fry 1 minute. In a small bowl, add soy sauce, honey, cornstarch & 1/2 c. chicken broth. Add sweet onions, spinach, peas, carrots, broccoli & 1/2 c. chicken broth to stir-fry & cook for 1-2 minutes. DON'T OVERCOOK! {Mushy veggies are barf!} Add sauce mixture & stir-fry 1 minute. Serve immediately, over hot rice & quinoa. Delish!

Your welcome.

2 comments: