Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Dirt & Grass

Food. The basis for our physical nourishment.

For this cause I spend a great deal of my energy, time & money. I want to buy my family the best food possible so we can be as healthy as possible. I try to be smart about my purchases. To be aware & open to learning more about what I can do to be a better mom. To be conscious & deliberate about what I put in my children's bodies. Not just for convenience sake, but for their long term physical & emotional well being.

So what do I do when after making a delicious meal, I hear... "Eww... that has green in it!" or "The crust is on that!" or "What is... that?"

Patience may be a virtue, but sometimes I think that that virtue has gone on vacation at these moments.

So the other day when Patience must have taken a sick day, this conversation ensued:

Me: Son, come eat this yummy lunch I made for you.

Son: {After meandering for a while, he climbs up onto his stool & makes a disgusted face.} What is that? Oh, no! It has green on it! Not again!

Me: {The heat in my face is apparent. Breath one.} Yes, but remember, that is why the Hulk is so green & strong because he eats ALL of his green food. And there is only a little on your turkey sandwich. You know, it's called spinach.

Son: {Another face.} I don't want it. {Whimper, whimper.}

Now, you'd think I'd just slopped a dead possum on his plate. Fur, eyes, blood & all.

Me: {Breath two.} Come on buddy, it's really good & Mom went to the store to buy this yummy food & now I've spent the time to make it for you so you can grow healthy & strong like Dad. So give it a go. Come on. {I hold the sandwich up to his lips.}

Son: {Pulls back in dissent. Another face.} No!

Me: {Crazy time. Heat rising. Growl. Out of breath.} That's it! I've had it! No more food for you! Go to your room!

Son: {Howling as he runs to his room.}

As Son sits in his room crying & I try to simmer my temper, a thought comes to my mind. I grab a glass cereal bowl from the cabinet & walk into our backyard. With my bare hands I scoop up some dirt, putting it in the empty bowl & then pull a handful of grass from our lawn. I march back inside & set the bowl with its contents down next to his uneaten sandwich. I walk over to his door & peek my head inside.

Me: Are you ready to come out?

Son: {Sniffles & nods in agreement.} Uh-huh.

Me: Okay, come on out.

He shuffles back into the kitchen with a distrusting look on his face, I'm sure wondering what the heck my next play will be.

Me: So I was thinking. If you aren't going to eat the yummy food Mommy makes you, I think instead of taking so much time, I'll just feed you dirt & grass.

Son: {Immediately sees the bowl next to the sandwich.} Eww... gross! No!

This is exactly what I was hoping for.

Me: Yeah, well, you thought the sandwich was gross too. So which meal do you want to eat? The sandwich or the bowl of dirt & grass?

Son: {More sniffles.} The sandwich. {He climbs up onto his stool again & pushes the bowl away with the most disgusted look yet.}

Me: Good choice. And bud, if you complain about any more of the yummy food Mom makes you, I can always go in the back yard & fill up this bowl.

Son: {He glares while taking a big bite of his delicious sandwich he has chosen.}

My Favorite Veggie Bagel Sandwiches


Sprouted Wheat Bagels (Trader Joe's)
Whipped Cream Cheese
Avocado, sliced or spread
Tomato, sliced
Arugula, Spinach, Romaine (whatever you fancy or have on hand)
Persian or English cucumber, sliced
Alfalfa Spouts
Salt & Pepper

Toast bagel & spread with cream cheese. Layer remaining ingredients & enjoy!

I know I said I wouldn't endorse recipes that call for crazy ingredients... so I'm not.
But since this is MY recipe, I can do what I want. Neener, neener.
You don't need to use this salt, but for kicks & giggles buy it someday at T.J.'s. It's not very expensive & {for the love!} it's PINK!
It has a very delicate flavor & is perfect for seasoning sandwiches & much more.

And for our fit challenge today? Go test out those Kegels by jumping with your kids on the trampoline! Good luck!

5 comments:

  1. Thats a good idea to get him to eat his lunch. I'll have to try that. But Drake would probably just say he doesn't want anything!

    I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hilarious!!! Pure Inspiration! That's awesome i will have to try that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am doing this. I try to blend up as much spinach as I can in shakes. I even have a popeye icecream recipe that my kids love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo... please share Miss Andrea! Leave me your e-mail & we'll have to chat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm soooo using the dirt & grass thing. Genius!!

    ReplyDelete